Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Procatec, Balios, Luiminator, Twin Vision
CPTDB (OLD-Aug 19, 2006) > Transit Discussion > Worldwide Transit Discussion
Can someone clarify these four names and whether some belong to the same company.
I heard somewhere that Procatec and Balios are combined. If so, I was under the impression that Balios/Procatec produced only the red and orange LED signs (examples are the Quebec Classics and Ottawa D60LFS). How come there are other Procatec LCD signs that are green (examples are GO's earlier Orion Vs)?
Matt Demers
Pocatec and Balios are indeed the same company. TwinVision seems to have the same control console as our Luminators, so that I'll guess are both the same company.

TwinVision: http://www.twinvisionna.com/TVControl_small.jpg
Luminator: http://www.etspe.ca/old/rideon/1995/rideon5802dest.jpg

Richard
QUOTE(Matt Demers @ Aug 5 2004, 12:22 AM)
TwinVision seems to have the same control console as our Luminators, so that I'll guess are both the same company.

The display keypads may look the same, but they're different companies.
A. Wong
Balios and Pocatec were once different companies. Balios made the red and orange LED signs you were talking about. Pocatec made those green LCD signs, as found on some of GO's Orion Vs. They can also be found on some 1998 and newer Greyhound coaches.

Balios and Pocatec combined, and the Balios display is no longer produced to my knowledge. The latest Pocatec (merged with Balios) sign that I have seen has been refitted into Calgary Transit 7701. It looks very much like a Luminator Horizon display.

Luminator and TwinVision are independent companies. From what I've heard, some worker of Luminator (former CEO or something?) either got fired or left, and started up TwinVision. TwinVision signs are top of the line.
45C-LFW
QUOTE(A. Wong @ Aug 6 2004, 01:20 AM)
Balios and Pocatec were once different companies.  Balios made the red and orange LED signs you were talking about.  Pocatec made those green LCD signs, as found on some of GO's Orion Vs.  They can also be found on some 1998 and newer Greyhound coaches.

Balios and Pocatec combined, and the Balios display is no longer produced to my knowledge.  The latest Pocatec (merged with Balios) sign that I have seen has been refitted into Calgary Transit 7701.  It looks very much like a Luminator Horizon display.

Luminator and TwinVision are independent companies.  From what I've heard, some worker of Luminator (former CEO or something?) either got fired or left, and started up TwinVision.  TwinVision signs are top of the line.

The new procatec signs must be the ones on OC's D60LFs, Brampton's 01 Orion Vs?
In the 7701 pic, you mention it had the old Balios sign, was that the limited view one since it was orange?
general682002
QUOTE(45C-LFW @ Aug 6 2004, 12:15 PM)
The new procatec signs must be the ones on OC's D60LFs, Brampton's 01 Orion Vs?
In the 7701 pic, you mention it had the old Balios sign, was that the limited view one since it was orange?

What? No!

Ashton mention that 7701 was retrofitted, look at the brightness and the font size esp. the number at the front! And yes it was with limited view before retrofit.

Right now Luminator has made Gen 4 model, a multicolour sign which LA 45C-LFW CNG have and Twin Vision latest is the Chroma IV, another multicolour sign.

Another sign in Ontario who have orange LED sign is AESYS, an Italian sign maker and so far Guelph and Timmins have them.
Matt Demers
QUOTE(general682002 @ Aug 6 2004, 01:05 PM)
What?  No!

Ashton mention that 7701 was retrofitted, look at the brightness and the font size esp. the number at the front!  And yes it was with limited view before retrofit.

Right now Luminator has made Gen 4 model, a multicolour sign which LA 45C-LFW CNG have and Twin Vision latest is the Chroma IV, another multicolour sign.

Another sign in Ontario who have orange LED sign is AESYS, an Italian sign maker and so far Guelph and Timmins have them.

For one second I tought that said AWESYS lol. Are they new on the market?
general682002
QUOTE(Matt Demers @ Aug 7 2004, 12:58 PM)
For one second I tought that said AWESYS lol. Are they new on the market?

New for North America, but old in Italy.

AESYS sign
Josh
I was looking at one of the dest sign sites, and it said it made lcd signs. Wouldnt it Crack if the bus hit a hard enough bump huh.gif , and do any buses use it? This Is LCD, Not LED. Does Anyone Have Anypics?
smallspy
QUOTE(Josh @ Aug 8 2004, 08:38 PM)
I was looking at one of the dest sign sites, and it said it made lcd signs. Wouldnt it Crack if the bus hit a hard enough bump, and do any buses use it? This Is LCD, Not LED. Does Anyone Have Anypics?

LCD's have been used as destination signs in buses...GO has a couple of buses with them.

As long as the destination sign is properly mounted (either isolated and floating, or hard mounted to the body) it should be just fine.

Dan
A. Wong
This is not LCD (TFT) as found in computer monitors. They are like the digital clocks in cars and VCRs, among other things. Those can take more damage than a LCD computer screen.

Hope this clears up some confusion. smile.gif
Craig
David Turney, CEO of Digital Recorders (TwinVision) was CEO at Luminator about 10 years ago. He left and then started TwinVision in 1986. TwinVisionn now owns Mobitec and goes by the trade name Digital Recorders. The older style ODK has the TwinVision name, the newer ones have the Digital Recorders name.

TwinVision was the first of the two to come out with the colored LED signs. The first one, known as the Chroma I is the part-color sign. The route number is color and the destination is amber. Later the Chroma IV was introduced, which is the full-color sign. The colors where only available for the front signs at the time. About two years ago Luminator introduced a color line of signs. These included part-color front, full-color front, full-color side and full-color rear. The orange LED Luminator signs are the Horizon series. The newer ones are the GEN4 Series.

TwinVision now makes full-color side and rear signs. Long Beach Transit is retrofitting the New Flyers with the full-color set of TwinVision signs.

Luminator was once the predominate signs in the industry over Vultron. Unfortunatrly, TwinVision has begun to take the major market share.

For more info check Lumivision for the various signs and information.

Craig
general682002
QUOTE(Craig @ Feb 23 2005, 01:29 PM)
Luminator was once the predominate signs in the industry over Vultron. Unfortunatrly, TwinVision has begun to take the major market share.

For more info check Lumivision for the various signs and information.

Craig

Majority in Canada are getting Luminator Horizon, except Quebec which they are getting Balios/Pocatec because of local manufacture. The Provinces tells all Transit in Quebec for a much cheaper price to buy.

The US is now mixed with Luminator and Twin Visions. And is it cheaper for US agency to buy TV signs?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.